Regional Information Center for Science and Technology
RICeST is a TWAS-affiliated information center that was established in 1991 in Shiraz, south of Iran, after an agreement made between the World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) and Iran’s Ministry of Science, Research and Technology aiming at facilitating Iran and regional countries’ scientific achievements through supporting educational, research and technical aspects of information management activities. Through RICeST, researchers, faculty members, students, etc. can access scientific information in different fields.
The following activities are part of the authority of the Regional Information Center for Science and Technology:
- Establishing electronic communications to receive and send internal and regional information in the fields of science and technology
- Establishing an electronic system for information exchange between Iranian and regional researchers
- Preparing and organizing domestic and regional written knowledge in the field of science and technology
- Establishing a variety of databases in the field of science and technology
- Publication of research reports, scientific publications and Persian and non-Persian books in the field of science and technology
- Supporting domestic and regional research in the fields of science and technology
- Organizing scientific lectures by inviting domestic and foreign researchers
- Establishing the necessary grounds for cooperation of Iranian specialists living abroad on the activities of the RICeST
- Exchanging professors and students with universities and research institutes of the country and the region in the form of existing legal licenses or obtaining special permission from the Islamic Consultative Assembly of Iran
- Establishing scientific communication with international organizations and institutions, particularly UNESCO, TWAS, ECO and the OIC.
- Communicating and collaborating with technical, service and educational sectors to identify needs and then providing the needed information.
Using specialists in different fields of science and technology has guaranteed the implementation of authorities of the center. Today, RICeST has established the largest databases, published magazines and books, held various lectures and conferences and provided scientific and technical information services without subject constraints in the form of articles, books, theses, technical and research reports and documents and distributed them among universities and institutes and also regional countries.